Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

family judge ordered administrative stay on all divorce proceedings

Customer Question

family judge ordered administrative stay on all divorce proceedings in bankruptcy. The same judge ordered DSO previously. husband's attorney filed for modification of support. my attorney was on vacation and sent her partner to represent me. 341 creditors meeting was the next day and husband claimed that the DSO had ended. husband's attorney claimed that the DSO was waived. I was represented by bankruptcy attorney and he did not object to these claims. my divorce attorney was still on vacation. what can I do?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Terry L. :

Hi and thank you for your question. In the future, you can request me to answer any further questions. I need some clarification to properly answer for you. Who filed bankruptcy and what chapter?

Terry L. :

DSO is not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

Terry L. :

The issue sounds to be if he owes it at all. IF he claims that he does not owe it, that needs to be resolved in the divorce proceeding.

Terry L. :

If he is filing chapter 13, any amounts past due would be paid thru his case. If he is doing chapter 7, DSO is not dischargeable if it is owed.

Terry L. :

Let me know who is filing and what chapter and I can clarify further for you. THanks