Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

Can I file chapter 13 if all I have is approx. $13,000 in auto

Customer Question

Can I file chapter 13 if all I have is approx. $13,000 in auto debt and $4000 in personal loan?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information on this open and nonconfidential forum.

You may file a chapter 13 with the debt indicated in your post

There is no minimum debt requirement to file a chapter 13. In addition, IRS debt may be paid in the chapter 13 plan. Whether or not any remaining IRS debt would be discharged as a result of the chapter 13 would require a complicated calculation that a local attorney would need to determine

If you would like additional details concerning my answer, please click REPLY and I will be happy to respond. Do not click relist as it will delay my response. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I receive credit for my work