How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask cfortunato Your Own Question

cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just have one more question regarding my dads credit card

Customer Question

I just have one more question regarding my dad's credit card problems. He owes about $6000 on his Discover card & what he's thinking now is that he will just continue to pay all of his other credit cards but is going to stop paying Discover because that is the card that he owes the most on. Can he do that? Will they sue him or take his house or garnish his social security money?

thanks for the help,
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

How much equity (market value minus balance on mortgage) does your father's house have?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I believe his house is worth about $80,000 and he still owes about $17,000.
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.

Pennsylvania does not have a Homestead Exemption. This means a creditor can take his house if he stops paying - unless the house is owned as "Tenants by the Entirety" with a spouse. He will have a similar problem if he files a Bankruptcy, which would allow a $20,200 Homestead Exemption, which means the Bankruptcy court could take his house, sell it, and give him $20,200 from the proceeds.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is it likely that they will take him to court & take his house since he is only receiving Social Security or is that something that rarely happens? So what's his best options as far as the $19000 in cc debt that he has, what should he do? He has Parkinson's so is there some kind of protection for him since he has medical problems?



Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.

They cannot take his Social Security. Creditors will generally not sell a house - they are more likely to place a lien on the property, and then wait for it to be sold. Unfortunately, there is no protection for someone who has medical problems.

This may sound extreme, but perhaps he should consider moving to a state that does have a Homestead Exemption - such as Massachusetts or Florida.


Edited by cfortunato on 10/4/2010 at 4:07 PM EST

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • FiveStarLaw


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
< Last | Next >
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • dylatess's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.
  • A.J.'s Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.
Chat Now With A Bankruptcy Lawyer
3102 Satisfied Customers
Bankruptcy professor.