Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I am going to file Chapter 7 Bankruptcy due to the IRS notifying

I am going to file Chapter 7 Bankruptcy due to the IRS notifying me of their intent to lien against my property. This is for taxes of 1998 through 2003. They are over 3 years old and I filed returns in those years. There are no liens in place yet and none have been filed as of yet, but I want to avoid this situation by filing before their dealine date they gave me in the certified letter I received from them.
I am told this will discharge the debt, penalties, etc., but also there will be a "lien" of some sort or something to remain in effect that the IRS can continue to "collect" from me after the Bankruptcy. Is this true? It concerns me that the bankruptcy will not eliminate the collection for these back taxes entirely. Thank you in advance.

Yes, taxes are dischargeable under certain circumstances. There are some that aren't dischargeable. You can read more about it here:

Also, you can negotiate with the IRS to settle the debt for less than what is owed

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The tax consulant has advised Chapter 7 since I own a home free of debt. This is my concern that a lien will be in effect against my house and exempt assets after the tax debt is discharged.
If the debts are discharged, there will be no lien filed against your assets - that's what the discharge is for.