Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

We filed bankruptcy almost eight years ago. Eight yeas will

We filed bankruptcy almost eight years ago. Eight yeas will be in may. Can we file another chapter 7 sooner considering we had a catastropoic illness in our family?

So sorry to hear of your dilemna. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information on this open and nonconfidential forum.

Unfortunately there are no exceptions to the waiting periods to file a 2nd Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

A person can file Chapter 7 again if it has been more than 8 years since he or she filed the previous Chapter 7 bankruptcy or 6 years since the filing of a Chapter 13.

A debtor can refile a Chapter 13 at anytime.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Considering May is only 7 months away. Can we start the process now and have it ready to go the first day we can file? Can our attorney start working with our creditors now to stop the phone cals?

Yes. You can meet with counsel now and begin to prepare the documents so that the petition is ready to file in May.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My husband had a terrible stroke last year. We almost lost him. He is now disabled and has severe aphasia. I am having a hard time with money issuses. I would love to put a halt to those threats and annoying phone calls. Can attorney stop them now with the idea we will be filing in May
So sorry to hear that. Many bankruptcy attorneys will field creditor calls once they have been retained
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you have any suggestions ....? I can't even open all the bills ..very depressing I am also sick. We lost our home, were evicted, two cars were repossed and we were homless
That is awful. Simply do not open the bills. There is nothing that the creditors can do other than file suit. When you file your bankruptcy, the judgments will be discharged
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is disability income a marital asset when it comes to social security and long term private disability insurance paymenyts?
Social Security and long-term private disability insurance need to be disclosed as income on your chapter 7 petition