socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

In Oregon, can an individual file BK if his wife does not file.

In Oregon, can an individual file BK if his wife does not file. Re: income for means test, will just the individual' income and debts be used, or does non filing spouse's income be a factor.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.
Under Oregon Rev. Stat. 108.040, each spouse is liable for the debts of the other spouse incurred as "expenses of the family" or for "the education of the minor children." "Expenses of the family" means "expenses incurred for the benefit of a member of the family." Unfortunately, this definition includes practically every debt that occurs during a marriage.

Therefore, it is practically impossible to file an individual bankruptcy in Oregon, unless the debts were incurred prior to marriage, or for the benefit of a third party outside the marriage.

Assuming an individual bankruptcy filing, then the debtor's current monthly income is reduced by the amount of the nonfiling spouse's income that was not regularly contributed to the debtor's household expenses or for the debtor's dependents to arrive at the debtor's current monthly income.

In other words, if a spouse were to put all of his or her earnings into a separate bank account and never make it available to the other spouse or family, then that income would not be included in the "means test" calculation. Otherwise, it's included.

Note: Only the last six months worth of income is considered in the "means test" calculation.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney (or, for the purpose of obtaining debt relief counseling under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code); (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Edited by socrateaser on 10/3/2010 at 5:16 PM EST