cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

I was divorced this year. My husband and I split our assets.

I was divorced this year. My husband and I split our assets. He is going to file for bankruptcy with in a few months. Is it true that the assets that I received in the divorce can be a part of the bankruptcy estate? All assets that I received were always in my name during the marriage. His name was never on the assests.

Hi Harley-Ponchos,

The assets in your name that were acquired during the marriage - were they separate property - such as an inheritance?

Were the assets - including the ones in your name if they were not separate property - divided up equally?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Some of the monies and assets were inheritance from my Mother. My ex-husband received a much larger portion of assets. He cleaned out cash from bank accounts and sold a large classic car collection which he converted to cash and left the state.
Given the information you provided, your portion of the division of assets would not become part of your husband's Bankruptcy estate. This is because those assets are legitimately yours.