Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

my partner is being sued by credit card companies for unpaid

my partner is being sued by credit card companies for unpaid credit card bills. We have a house in both names and checking accounts in both names.We are not married.Can they attach the house or accounts with my name on them?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Response: Unfortunately yes. However, they would be attaching on your partner's interests in relation to the house. As for the bank accounts, they are not supposed to attach the accounts if they are joint accounts. However, this does not necessarily mean that someone in the bank who is not paying attention is not going to let the attachment through. In the event that the accounts are attached, then a complaint should be filed with the Court to remove the attachment.

For more information, click on the link below:

http://www.nedap.org/hotline/frozen.html