socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I am a tenant in common on an undeveloped lot in a lake community

I am a "tenant in common" on an undeveloped lot in a lake community that we own (no mortgage). My "partner" is declaring bankrupcy. The value of the lot is about $10,000-$15,000. The annual lake association fees are now due along with taxes. 1. Will I lose the land but still be liable for association fees and taxes? 2. Can I sell the property or does the bankrupcy cloud the title and impose a lien? 3. Should I "quite claim" my share over to my partner and walk away with nothing, but clear myself on any further obligations? 4. Is there any way I can sell the property or a better course of action?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.
1. Will I lose the land but still be liable for association fees and taxes?

A: You're liable for the association fees that have accrued prior to your loss of ownership by whatever means (bankruptcy, sale, foreclosure, etc.).

2. Can I sell the property or does the bankrupcy cloud the title and impose a lien?

A: You have the right to sell your interest. You cannot sell the other owner's interest, except to the bankruptcy trustee. However, the trustee will be more interested in trying to get you to purchase the other owner's interest, so you could make a lowball offer, given that selling part of a tenancy in common is very difficult, and the trustee would have to hire a lawyer in order to get the bankruptcy court to order your interest in the property sold. Lawyers cost money, and it could cost $10,000 to litigate the issue, which wouldn't be worth it, considering the property's value.

3. Should I "quite claim" my share over to my partner and walk away with nothing, but clear myself on any further obligations?

A: No. Quitclaim it to me! Seriously, you have some negotiating leverage here, so I think you may be in a better circumstance than you believe.

4. Is there any way I can sell the property or a better course of action?

A: See above.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney (or, for the purpose of obtaining debt relief counseling under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code); (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>Considering that we paid about $30,000 for the lot and have paidproperty taxkes and lakeassn dues for many years, and was advised by realter that lot might fetch $15,000 at best, XXXXX XXXXX't want to offer any more money to buy the other half. </p><p>Does that leave me stuck with an unsellable share? </p><p>Can the bankrupcy court take my half and sell it? </p><p>Can the other party's bankrupcy effect my credit if I am half-owner? </p><p>What would you advise (other than quit claim)  if I don't want to invest more money buying the "other half" ? </p><p> </p>
Considering that we paid about $30,000 for the lot and have paidproperty taxkes and lakeassn dues for many years, and was advised by realter that lot might fetch $15,000 at best, XXXXX XXXXX't want to offer any more money to buy the other half.

Does that leave me stuck with an unsellable share?

A: If the bankruptcy trustee thinks the property isn't worth screwing with, then he/she may simply abandon it back to the debtor at the end of the bankruptcy. Which would put you right back where you started.

Can the bankrupcy court take my half and sell it?

A: The bankruptcy court can order your half sold, but you would be entitled to the proceeds for the sale of your half interest. Maybe you and the bankruptcy trustee can simply agree to sell the property and split the proceeds. That would resolve the issue. Contact the trustee.

Can the other party's bankrupcy effect my credit if I am half-owner?

A: If the bankruptcy trustee were to sue you to get a judgment ordering the property sold, then that judgment would show up on your credit report, as a negative entry. So, yes, it's possible. However, I think you and the bankruptcy trustee may want to talk, because if you just want to cut your losses, you're in a pretty good situation to do so.

Hope this helps.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)