How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

State of Florida - Declared Chap 7 with debt discharged about

Customer Question

State of Florida - Declared Chap 7 with debt discharged about 2 years ago. Susequently, I had neck surgery and now my insurance company has denied claims and appeals since they say it was a pre-existing condition. I now have 90K in debt, I make 40 k a year, and cant afford to even have my wages garnished. Do I have an option to file bankruptcy?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

You do not yet have the option to file a Bankruptcy, because you have to wait 8 years after filing the prior one to file a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, and you have to wait 4 years before you can file a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I understand the bankruptcy timeframes, however, its purely medical debt - no creidt card debt or any other debet. Do I have any other options to get this debt removed?
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.
Medical debt is treated the same as credit card and any other unsecured debt. Unfortunately, Bankruptcy is the only option to get rid of the debt, unless the company is willing to accept a payment plan - at least until you can file a Bankruptcy.