cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

State of Florida - Declared Chap 7 with debt discharged about

Customer Question

State of Florida - Declared Chap 7 with debt discharged about 2 years ago. Susequently, I had neck surgery and now my insurance company has denied claims and appeals since they say it was a pre-existing condition. I now have 90K in debt, I make 40 k a year, and cant afford to even have my wages garnished. Do I have an option to file bankruptcy?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

You do not yet have the option to file a Bankruptcy, because you have to wait 8 years after filing the prior one to file a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, and you have to wait 4 years before you can file a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I understand the bankruptcy timeframes, however, its purely medical debt - no creidt card debt or any other debet. Do I have any other options to get this debt removed?
Medical debt is treated the same as credit card and any other unsecured debt. Unfortunately, Bankruptcy is the only option to get rid of the debt, unless the company is willing to accept a payment plan - at least until you can file a Bankruptcy.