socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

In regards to Bankruptcy Chapter 13, are there any laws or

In regards XXXXX XXXXX Chapter 13, are there any laws or regulations that govern employers on how they pay bonus, if one is paid out? In any State? Thanks
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.
Are you the employer or debtor in this scenario. Give me an idea of what you are trying to accomplish, because it's not clear to me.

Thanks in advance.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney (or, for the purpose of obtaining debt relief counseling under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code); (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am the debtor, and I told my Employer and they want to know if there are any laws or regulations stating how the Employer has to pay out bonus if there is any to be paid out.

Thanks

The employer's obligation is unchanged from whatever it was prior to the bankruptcy filing -- unless the court orders your wages redirected to the trustee -- something that I would consider extraordinarily unlikely.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't understand your answer, in a Ch13 your payments in the State of TN are sent directly to the trustee from your paychecks, but are there any laws or regulations outside of the employer following the court order issued to pay an amount bi weekly to the trustee? Thanks
A payroll deduction order in Chapter 13 is not required by federal law. It is discretionary with the judge. Your court may have a standing order for payroll deduction. Regardless, as an employer, your obligation is to follow the court orders presented to you. Example: If the order states: "Pay $X," then that's what you pay. If the deduction order states: "Pay $X, plus any and all additional bonuses greater than $X, due and payable to debtor on any date when payment is made," then that's what you pay.

In short, the employer follows the payroll deduction order.

Hope this helps.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)