TMcJD, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Attorney

Can I file a chapter 13 alone for an automatic stay (home in

Can I file a chapter 13 alone for an automatic stay (home in foreclosure) if my husband is also on the loan?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TMcJD replied 6 years ago.

Yes. The point of foreclosure is to terminate your property interest in the home so that it can be sold. Since you are a joint owner of the property (I assume that is the case since you are a co-signer on the loan with your husband), any foreclosure proceeding has to be against both you and your husband. Thus, if either of you files for bankruptcy, the bank really cannot proceed. They could, of course, still terminate his interest (theoretically), but they cannot terminate yours and that would prevent them from doing what they really need to do -- which is terminate both interests.

I believe I have answered your question. Your accept would be greatly appreciated. Of course, if I can provide clarification concerning your original question, please let me know.

If you have additional questions, I would be happy to assist, but as a courtesy I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you accept the answer to your first question before asking another.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. Your "accept" (by clicking the green "Accept" button) would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, neither I nor JustAnswer can be compensated for the time and resources expended.

You understand that your use of or communication on this forum, in any and all ways, is intended for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute and/or be relied upon as legal advice or be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. Further, you agree not to rely on anything I say and will obtain appropriate legal and or tax advice with an attorney or other professional licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal or other issue arises.