Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I am a creditor in a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, and have just received

I am a creditor in a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, and have just received a modification stating that the debtor wants to avoid my lien under section s22chJ. I need to object to this but don't know what the section states. I also have already received a $77 payment from the Trustee in September under a different modification. I am really confused as to how to proceed to protect my rights as a creditor.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you understand and accept these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Please verify the site that you gave me -- could it be Bankruptcy Code 522 and not s22?

what type of property do you have a lien on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It appears on the form as a lower case "s" and it is real property (residence of debtor) that I have the lien on.
I don't know what they can be referring to -- there is no such statute either at the federal or state level. I will open the question to other experts in case another expert is familiar
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what other type of motion could they use to avoid a lein.
They are attempting to avoid the lien on the basis that it impairs the debtors exemption. Problem is that the statute you reference does not correspond to exempt property on either the state or federal level
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what kind of response is needed from me in order to secure my position as a valid creditor
you need to file an Objection to Avoidance of Lien
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
and where would I get this form, do you know?
It is not a standard form that you can find on line. Once you determine what exactly they are objecting to, you can go to a law library and review the bankruptcy pleading forms accordingly
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will the Trustee tell me anything if I call him

The trustee may be willing to tell you what the motion is referring to. Even better would be to contact the debtor's attorney
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much I will try calling the attorney and see where I get.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one more question, if the debtor does avoid my lien then is the lien still valid on the property, in other words do I still have a valid lien on the debtor that I can eventually get paid on , if she sells the property get paid?
Unfortunately if the lien is avoided by the bankruptcy court, you will be treated as an unsecured creditor. You will not have a valid lien on the property regardless of the outcome of the bankruptcy

It has been my pleasure to assist you

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers..

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will the Judgment still stand valid on her name.
if she completes her chapter 13 plan, her obligation to you will be discharged. If she does not complete her chapter 13 plan, her debt to you will be considered unsecured but payable