Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney
12106879

I need to file chapter 7 bankruptcy in Virginia. I have registered

Customer Question

I need to file chapter 7 bankruptcy in Virginia. I have registered with Legal Aid. I have been unemployed for a year now and have used all of my assets to make it to this point. I ave consulted with an attorney who assured me that my case would be routine, but with the new filing procedures I would need an attorney. Attorney fees range from $1000 to $2000+ filing fees, and I do not have any access to such funds. Which is why I met with a Legal Aid attorney who refused my case because I do not have a job or medical benefits. I will call the VA Bar Association and inquire about probono attorneys. Basically I need legal advice from a lawyer who has knowledge of Legal Aid policy, and if there is a way I can have my case accepted by Legal Aid.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, there is no way to force legal aid to take your case. However, if you go to the local law schools, they have clinics where a law student, working under the supervision of an attorney, can file the bankruptcy for you. Contact them for assistance.

Good luck!