Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

my wife and i are struggling with our debt and are considering

Customer Question

my wife and i are struggling with our debt and are considering bankruptcy . i would like to know if she could assume my and family debt before she claims . and would it affect my credit as well we want to retain my good credit to some day soon look for a house
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you understand and accept these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

A husband and wife are not required to file a bankruptcy jointly. One party can file without the other. However your wife cannot assume your debt before she files. Your debt will not be discharged by her bankruptcy.

Here is how it works.
The effect on the non-filing spouse will be dependent upon whether there are joint debts and/or joint assets. If there are no joint debts and no joint assets, there may be little or no effect on the non-filing spouse. If there are joint debts and/or joint assets, the non-filing spouse would remain liable on the joint debt and the joint assets would need to be included in the filing.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.