cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

My husband I have been served with a citation to discover assets

My husband I have been served with a citation to discover assets to third party and our bank account has been frozen. Will filling bankruptcy stop this?
Submitted: 6 years ago via Nolo Press.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

Were you served with the papers for the court proceeding for this judgment?

What is the debt for?

Edited by cfortunato on 9/7/2010 at 1:12 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The debt is for a credit card I no longer have the money to pay off.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We now live in Seattle. There is no way we can go back to Yorkville, IL. Also, I didn't recieve the notice from my bank until today. The court date is for this Tuesday.

Banks will generally hold the funds in a frozen account for one month before releasing those funds to the creditor. If you file a Bankruptcy before then, the bank has to release the freeze, and not send the funds to the creditor. In other words, filing a Bankruptcy will stop the freeze.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is there any way to stop the court proceeding on Tuesday? Is that important? What else will this company be able to freeze?

If the court proceeding is tomorrow, you will not be able to stop it, because you will not be able to file a Bankruptcy that soon. It generally takes about 2 weeks to prepare the Bankruptcy paperwork, but it is possible to file an "Emergency" petition which can take a few hours to prepare, but I think that will still be too late to stop tomorrow's court proceeding. However, the filing will stay (i.e., temporarily stop) any additional action in that case.