Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My spouse and I just completed and were granted a bankruptcy

My spouse and I just completed and were granted a bankruptcy discharge. My spouse
then had a surgery with resulting bills above the insurance coverage, ie copays, etc.
We live in Connecticut. The house is in my (wifes) name only-wife works, spouse is on ssi
disability. Can they attatch the house if in wifes name only? Also we were told to send even
$10 a month on each bill and it would show good faith, if they were to try to take us to
court. Is it true that if they accept a $10 payment the first time, they have agreed to that
payment plan?

If the house is only in your wife's name, and if she didn't sign any agreement with the medical provider to be responsible for these bills, her house should be safe from these creditors.

Also, yes, medical care creditors seldom come after anyone who is making an effort to pay. They'll work with you so long as you try to work with them.