Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I received a discharge for a California chapter 7 pro se bankruptcy

Customer Question

I received a discharge for a California chapter 7 pro se bankruptcy in Feb. of this year. My auto was reaffirmed late 2009 and accepted by the court. I have not paid anything for one year and I still have the auto. There has not been a single attempt of any kind for payment by the lien holder or any third parties. Recently, I took a peak at my credit report. I was quite surprised to see that the auto loan had in fact been discharged for the original amount of the loan. The problem is, I did not list the auto for discharge what to speak of the original amount listed. I might owe $5000, the credit report said $7000 was discharged(original amount). I can print the document.
I am confused as to what my next move should be? Is that illegal? Most importantly, how can I go about getting the title?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you understand and accept these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately you will not be able to obtain the title without paying the debt.

The chapter 7 bankruptcy would have discharged your personal liability on the car loan but not the lien on the car itself. This means the lienholder may eventually repossess the vehicle but may not collect that portion of the debt that is unsatisfied