socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

i lost my job in june , i am 62 so i went on ss that pays 1157

i lost my job in june , i am 62 so i went on ss that pays 1157 per month. i also won an unemployment dispute that has 15 weeks to go. i purchased a 2010 car before i lost my job , the payments are 489 and not hardly in my budget anymore. i also dropped out of a consolidation program for credit cards. i went bankrupt 2 times in the last 20 years mostly due to divorce. i went to the lender on my car ,the balance is 21000 , they refused to work with me at all. i own no property nor do i have any bank accts. or any other means to pay. what can these peole take from me? can they go after ss money it is direct deposited. if i turn this car in what can they do?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Unemployment and Social Security are exempt from garnishment, so there is nothing that the creditor can do, if you turn in the vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.