socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

if I file chapter 13 can my second mortage get eliminated

if I file chapter 13 can my second mortage get eliminated? do they eliminate any unsecured loans? or cut the balance down at least?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

If your first loan balance is greater than the fair market value of your property as of the date of filing the bankruptcy petition, then the court can "unsecure" the second loan, and then if you make payments to all of your creditors for the 3-5 years of the plan, then the 2nd loan will be completely discharged, and you will continue to own the property with only a first loan.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.