Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
15345323

2 issues, I have been sued by a law firm for a credit card

2 issues, I have been sued by a law firm for a credit card debt which is very od
is there a time limit for suing and I also received a document saying that if I want I can reply, I have no income and I am a full time student, what are the options available to me, Secondly I owed some money to a university since 2003 who referred it to a collection agency and they further got a judgement(presumably)
I called the law firm and they could not find my fule (may be case close)
Now what is the time limit for a judment to remain in force.
Am I within my rights to ask the law firm to provide me with a copy of judgement/
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Terry L. :

Hi and thank you for your question.

Terry L. :

Generally the New Jersey Statutes of Limitations are for 6 years for debt collection. This time can be restarted based on payments, or other collection action.

Terry L. :

Credit card debts would be dischargeable in bankruptcy cases. Otherwise, you would need to negotiate with their attorneys to set up a repayment plan. In the case, ask the creditor to provide verification of the debt, and ask them to prove the statute has not run.

Terry L. :

Unfortunately, student loans and educational debt are not dischargeable in bankruptcy cases, so you would need to work something out with these lenders directly to get on a repayment plan or have them deferred to when you are back working.

Terry L. :

You can always request them to provide you with proof of the judgment.

Terry L. :

Thank you for your question, good luck to you.

Expert:  Terry L. replied 4 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Terry L. replied 4 years ago.
Should you have any further questions, please contact me. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for getting back to you little late, got some family emergency,

Now what I do with the court notice I have received and what is the impact of mutiple court judgement on my earnings (like wage garnishments, do they get effected at once or I pay a certain percentage)

Expert:  Terry L. replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.
The creditor is suing you, if they obtain a judgment, they can then do any or all of the following.
1. Put a lien on any real estate
2. Freeze/seize any bank accounts to pay the balance.
3. Garnish wages.
They can garnish up to 15% of your pay.
Government debts and child support can take more.
They will line up if you have multiple.
THanks for your question, good luck to you.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience: Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar