Brent Blanchard
Brent Blanchard, Bankruptcy Attorney
Experience:  Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.

I assisted my grandmother with the filing of chapter 7. We

I assisted my grandmother with the filing of chapter 7. We were told that she had to have a list of information for the filing on 8/26/2010. She needed to have that information no later than 7/31/2010. That wasn’t enough time to gather all of the information. Have you ever seen a case where we reschedule or just submit the information that we have?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Brent Blanchard replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Brent Blanchard :

The court has full discretion to dismiss a bankruptcy case for failure to timely file required documents, per the Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure. I've had two clients face that for exactly the reasons you describe. I just cannot help someone who does not provide the information on time. It would be a crime of perjury for a debtor to sign off on filing something with made-up numbers just to meet a deadline, too.

Brent Blanchard :

With do-it-yourself filers, the BK courts often stretch the rules and give debtors a second chance to get it right. A third chance happens, but not always. I believe I have seen only one case (including others I have observed at the Section 341 Hearings) where a debtor was given a fourth chance.

Brent Blanchard :

Thank you.

Brent Blanchard :