FloridaBKlawyer, Attorney
Experience:  I have over ten years of experience in corporate and individual bankruptcy.

Hello, I am in the process of filing bankruptcy and I was served

Hello, I am in the process of filing bankruptcy and I was served with a summons from a law firm to collect a debit. I am at the last day to file a written response and I will have to pay a $35 filing fee. The summons says that if I do not file in time judgment by default will be rendered against me. Will it make any difference if I just let it go into default? I have spoken to the law firm and told them that I am doing the steps necessary to file such as taking the online credit counseling course which I have completed and bringing my income tax filing up to date and that I am saving up the money necessary to be able to file for bankruptcy. This conversation was recorded two or three separate times within the last week. Please help. Thanks in advance.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I always suggest that you file a response so that a judgment isn't filed. The judgment could attach to real property or cause issues and even though these can be addressed in bankruptcy, it would make your bankruptcy more expensive. File a response and this will allow you time to file your bankruptcy which would stay (stop) the civil action against you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. Very helpful !
Thank you for allowing me to assist you.