Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My wife has exhausted all unemployment benefits, has approx.

My wife has exhausted all unemployment benefits, has approx. $1,000 in cash and close to $30K in credit card debt. We are not legally separated, but have not lived under the same roof for more than 10 years. If she files for bankruptcy and I liable? We live in Phoenix, AZ.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Response: Unfortunately, if the debts were accumulated during the marriage, the credit companies may come after you for payment after she files for bankruptcy protection since you are not legally separated. Incidentally, your income would also be needed to calculate the means test to see if she is even qualified to file for bankruptcy protection. Again, your income is needed only because you are not legally separated.