socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

I had BK7 last august 7th discharged 2009. An auto creditor

I had BK7 last august 7th discharged 2009. An auto creditor attached a lien on my home Title several months AFTER the discharge. The debtor won a judgement against me prior to the BK7 , but not more than one year before I filed.
Is this 'Perfecting" the lien? And what is the consequence? It took the debtor two years and five months to attach the lien to my home?
Thank You,
Robert Sobol

If the creditor obtained a judgment prior to your filing bankruptcy, but the creditor did not record the "abstract of judgment" as a lien with the county until after you filed for bankruptcy, then the lien is invalid, because the judgment is unenforceable.

In such a case, you would file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt in bankruptcy could and ask for the court to order damages against the creditor for violating the discharge injunction, and further to order the creditor to record a lien release to clear your property from the cloud on title.

You can also get attorney's fees. So, you can contact a bankruptcy lawyer to handle this for you and get reimbursed from the creditor. Before you do, you could send the creditor a notice, that unless he/she records a lien release immediately, that you will commence legal action to enforce your rights.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.