socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

How many properties can a person own and be protected from

How many properties can a person own and be protected from creditors?

can a property exemption be updated to 150,000.00?

If I have a business and I'm being sued for a debt in 2008 can I apply that to my Individual bankruptcy that I owe. Would this be questionable to the trustee?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Only your principal residence can be protected under the Calfiornia homestead exemption (between $50,000 and $150,000 depending upon personal circumstances).

However, unless you personally guaranteed your corporate debt to the creditor, then the creditor cannot reach your personal property or personally held real estate assets -- unless the creditor proves that your corporation is really just an "alter ego" for your personal property. Courts are unlikely to "pierce the corporate veil" and permit personal liability for corporate debt, except where it's obvious that the owner of the corporation has been using the corporation as the owner's personal "piggy bank."

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.