cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

In Chapter 7 bankruptcy case,after dsischarge but before case

In Chapter 7 bankruptcy case,after dsischarge but before case closing, creditor amends Petition and Schedules A-C to switch from New Mexico law to federal law 11 USC 522(d)(5). Asset in question was a commercial warehouse claimed as a homestead under New Mexico statute 42-10-9. I am a judicial lien holder with a lien against the commercial warehouse, warehouse appraised value is $ 55,000, and my lien is for $53,000. I beleive the creditor is trying to claim that my judicial lien is impairing the exemption under 11 USC 522(d)(5). What is creditor up to and what can I say in my objection to Amended Motion To Avoid Judicial Lien, i.e., what is my defense?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.

Hi tjog,

Does the debtor (you are the creditor) live in the warehouse?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Allegedly, although there is no running water nor toilet/sewage disposal system. At the time of the filing, I believe I can prove the creditor did not live there. Since then the creditor has moved in furniture and made the place look like a home yet still no water or sewage. Creditor has parked a 5th wheel travel trailer inside the warehouse and may now be living in the 5th wheel.

If the warehouse was claimed as the homestead, and if you can prove that the warehouse was not the homestead at the time of filing - and this should be easy to do - you can claim that the petition was filed fraudulently. This can result in a complete dismissal of the case, or at least a denial of the motion to avoid the lien.

By the way, moving a trailer into the warehouse does not make the warehouse a homestead (the trailer would be the homestead) - even if he had been living in the trailer at the time of filing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does claiming the exemption under 11 USC 522 (d)(5) under the amended motion to avoid lien have any effect on my judicial lien against the warehouse

That statute only protects the first $1075 of the value of the property (plus the additional $10,725 of any unused homestead exemption). The rest of the MV can be turned over to creditors. So the statute has an indirect affect on your lien.

cfortunato, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy professor.