Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I know I am not liable to the lien debt, but what sense does

I know I am not liable to the lien debt, but what sense does the lien make as far as it being there, if I'm not responsible for the debt anymore? I always thought a lien is when you owe for an item or house etc.

You are not personally responsible for the debt but the debt is collateralized by the property in the form of a lien. When you sell your property or refinance, the lien will be required to be satisfied.

You can consider contacting your bankruptcy attorney and requesting that he reopen your bankruptcy case. Once your bankruptcy case is open, you can file an adversary proceeding in the bankruptcy to avoid the lien if the lien impairs your homestead exemption of $30,000 in equity