Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I signed a 1 year agreement with Two of Us Dating Service,

I signed a 1 year agreement with Two of Us Dating Service, Bridgewater, NJ. For a fee of $4K, this 'exclusive & professional' agency was suppose to give me 10 dating referrals between 11/08 and 11/09. They gave me only 1 referral. I filed a civil suit against the agency and heard back from their attorney that they declared bankrupcy in 5/09. I'm disheartened and consider myself a victim of a scam. All I want is my money back, no more, no less. Can someone offer legal advice?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

The automatic stay of the bankruptcy court prohibits any action against the debtor outside of the bankruptcy court. Once a bankruptcy has been filed all collection action must cease.

That said you may file a proof of claim in the bankruptcy case in order to share in any distributions made. Here is the form:
http://www.uscourts.gov/uscourts/RulesAndPolicies/rules/BK_Forms_Official_2010/B_010_0410.pdf

Good luck.