Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

Hello, I have a very large student loan 150,000, limited income

Customer Question

Hello, I have a very large student loan 150,000, limited income and on the verge of getting a divorce. I have been paying what I can on the loan, but not anything near the set monthly amount which is almost 1000 a month. I pay pretty much 200. I have exhausted ALL of the flex payment options, deferements, etc. I do not qualify for the new assistance at Dept of Ed.

I am aware that student loans are covered in bankruptcy. I am willing to continue paying what I can, however, the loan is set to default in October. What can I do to protect the things I need such as a home, my car etc. I work and I'm on military retirement. Can my military retirement be taken away?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 6 years ago.

My name is Francine, and I’m a Moderator for JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question!

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when:

1. the question may be unclear
2. the question seems to require an answer for something that cannot be explained online adequately
3. the Experts that are online simply don't have the resources to answer your question fully
4. the question price you selected is too low for the complexity of the question

Please feel free to re-word your question or increase the price if you feel that may be the reason. Of course you are not required to increase the price. :)

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Best,

Fran
JustAnswer Moderator

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think my question is straightforward and provides sufficient background information for a general answer: At the minimum, a competant banktruptcy attorney should be able to answer the question of whether or not mililitary retirement pay is in jeopardy for a student loan that goes into default. This is a PRESSING question and if I cannot get an expert to at least make a good faith effort to answer it, then I don't see a need to continue with the upgraded service.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 6 years ago.

I’ll try to find an Expert to assist you. When the Expert replies, you will receive an email notification. If you find the answer helpful, please remember to click the green Accept button so the Expert is compensated for the answer. Thank you for your continued patience.

Regards,

Fran