How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask cfortunato Your Own Question

cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgement, but on the court document it doesn

Customer Question

I have a judgement, but on the court document it doesn't list my DOB or social security number; is there a way out of the judgement? It says unknown on the document. Also, if I move to tennessee and buy a home, will the judement be applied there? The judgement is more than 10 years old and says homestead exempt. I f i but the the home and remove all my cash (a fairly large amount from an out of state bank, can I file bankruptcy, and will this seem suspicious, and be problematic in court?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
Is the judgment from a Circuit Court or from a General District Court?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was awarded in the General District Court and later registered in the Circuit court.

At that time I understand the duration for a judgment in VA was 10 years, but they uped it to 20 during that time.Does that matter?

Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.
The duration - only 10 years in District Court - is why I asked.
In any event - the fact that the judgment does not have your DOB or Social Security number does not make the judgment invalid.
If the judgment says "Homestead Exempt", this will apply in Tennessee also.
If you file a Bankruptcy, the Bankruptcy trustee can ask for your bank statements for the past 6 months. If he sees a large withdrawal, he will ask you where the money is.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If the duration is shorter, say 10 yrs in TN, does that matter, or would they go by the 20 yr duration in VA? Do I have to file documents to make the home rcorded as my homestead, or is living in it and having the address onmy drivers license enough?

So if I remove the money from the bank and wait 6 mo. there would be no problem?

Would it be better to close the account or leave a small amount in it?

Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.
I don't know the answers to all of the additional questions, so I am sending this question back for someone else to help you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. Thanks.
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
another thing I'm unclear on is if the judgement is still active. It was awarded in General District Court, but I have a document that states it was recorded in the Circuit Court a few months later.I understand that at this time the limit is 10 yr in GDC, allowed to renew for 10 yr, and 20 in CC, allowed to renew 20 yr. Also, at the time it was awarded in 2000, the time limit was 10 years, but in 2004-2005 it was allowed to be renewed for another 10 years; does that apply to judgements awarded only after 2004-2005, or all current judgements?
P.S. please take into consideration that the law info I provide may not be correct. If not, please tell me what is.
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.
Question was sent back for someone else to answer.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • FiveStarLaw


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
< Last | Next >
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • dylatess's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.
  • A.J.'s Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.
Chat Now With A Bankruptcy Lawyer
3102 Satisfied Customers
Bankruptcy professor.