socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

I just filed chapter 13 due to waiting for the bank to do a

Customer Question

I just filed chapter 13 due to waiting for the bank to do a loan mod, after all the delays they had a forclosure date for sale my only option to keep the house was to file. So now thru the court what are the chances of a reaffirmation, or renegotation of my loan I have @ 20k in late fees. My loan was purchased by a new company now there are pre payment penalties which i never signed for and @ 8k in escrow money that was to be paid to my creditors but never was now the balances are charge offs what happens to this monet?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.

If you can create a bankruptcy plan that lets you catch up on the mortgage during the next 5 years, then you can keep the property. Otherwise, the lender can get relief from the automatic bankruptcy stay and foreclose.

As for the extra fees, if you can show that they are not costs of collection on the note, then the bankruptcy court will discharge them. Otherwise, they will be tacked on to the loan.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.