Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

What is the best way to claim unclaimed funds from a resolved

Customer Question

What is the best way to claim 'unclaimed funds' from a resolved Bankruptcy Case. My Dad is a claimant and I don't know the best way to claim the funds due to my brother and I since my Dad has since passed away.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Could you explain a little more?

What did you mean by "a resolved Bankruptcy Case?"

When was the bankruptcy case filed?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have much more information. I remember my Dad telling me about the bankruptcy case. The debtor was: Kevin P. O'Donnell and my Dad (Robert C. Meyers) was a creditor. The bankruptcy case was settled as I remember reading some mail when my brother and I were going through papers when my Dad died. They delivered a settlement check to my Dad's house, but since my Dad had died, the mail was returned and now I have this dilemma of trying to figure out how to find the unclaimed funds. I don't even have a claim number.
Thank you for the clarification:

Response: You would need to contact the Bankruptcy Trustee on that case regarding the unclaimed funds. The Trustee's name would be on the paper that your father received from the Bankruptcy Court. If you do not know how to locate the Bankruptcy Trustee on the document, contact the Bankruptcy Court and ask to speak with a Docket Clerk. Make sure that have docket number before contacting the Clerk's Office. The Docket/Case Number XXXXX son the document that your father received from the Bankruptcy Court. The Clerk's office number is XXXXX on the document that you received from the Court. The Clerk would be able to tell you who the Trustee is and more importantly what happened to the unclaimed funds.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not have any of the documents with the bankruptcy information, unfortunately. It would be more helpful to know where I can start either calling or searching for the information.

Response: Ok. Contact Ohio Bankruptcy Court. They have several divisions. Contact all of them with the debtor's information to see if it is the right division. Once you get the right division, you would be able to find what you are looking for.

http://www.uscourts.gov/court_locator/CourtMapDetails.aspx?state=OH

Or you can use the PACER system to try to locate this information. PACER stands for Public Access to Court Electronic Records. You have to register and be assigned a password XXXXX you can use the system. Once you have your login information, you would be able to find what you are looking for. Click here for more information on PACER:

http://www.pacer.gov/

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That's what I was doing before I contacted you. I'll keep searching the web.
Goodluck with your search.