socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

My domestic partner died and I need to file bankruptcy. Our

My domestic partner died and I need to file bankruptcy. Our mortgage is under water. If I file bankruptcy, I can continue to pay the primary mortgage, but we have a second, line of credit, mortgage that I need to get rid of. The problem is, I now have $150,000 equity after the first mortgage. The line of credit is $360,000. Theoretically, the second mortager could force a sale if I stop paying. Is it possible to use, say, a Nevada LLC, to establish a second mortgage that would wipe out that $150,000 equity after the first mortgage? Is it possible to use that "second" (third) mortgage to prohibit the present line of credit mortager to foreclose? I'm in Virginia.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

There is no way to interpose a new loan between the 1st and 2nd mortgages, so as to make it impossible for the 2nd to foreclose on the existing equity -- except to pay off the 2nd and then terminate the credit line, before you record any new lien.

If you file bankruptcy, your unsecured debts will be discharged. But, if the 2nd mortgage is not paid, then the lender can foreclose and force the sale of the property to recover the $150,000 in equity.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.