Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

My husband an I filed for bankruptcy in December. They asked

My husband an I filed for bankruptcy in December. They asked us when we went to court if we wanted to reaffirm our house and car and we told them yes. They never contacted us to reaffirm our house and noe the bankruptcy has been discharged. Is there any way we can keep our house since it has been discharged?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

A reaffirmation agreement is a promise to pay a debt that would otherwise be discharged in a bankruptcy. However this does not mean that you must surrender your house because you did not reaffirm. It simply means that you do not have personal liability on the loan.Provided you continue to make your payments according to the terms of your mortgage, you will be entitled to keep your home