socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

is the first mortgage even reduced or interest rate dropped...any

is the first mortgage even reduced? or interest rate dropped...any chance of changing the current situation u have with you bank to modify the loan arrangements?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Generally, there is no way to modify the terms and conditions of a first mortgage on the debtor's principal residence, unless the last payment on the 1st comes due before the end of the bankruptcy plan -- in which case any remaining balance due can be deemed unsecured and discharged at the end of the plan.

On the other hand, 2nd loans, where the 1st loan balance is greater than the fair market value of the property, can be completely discharged at the end of the Chapter 13.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.