socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

How long must pass for a business not to be vulnerable to clawbacks

How long must pass for a business not to be vulnerable to clawbacks from a client who filed chapter 11? Also, are there steps to avoid the clawback prior to the bankruptcy, and if so what? For example, will prepayment make you exempt from clawbacks? Payment within terms?

Thanks.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.

The Chapter 11 debtor can avoid any payment to a creditor not made in the ordinary course of business within the 90 days prior to filing of the bankruptcy petition -- unless the payment is for less than $5,850.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean. If my business extends credit to someone and they pay me, and then a week later they file Chapter 11, does that payment get taken back from me and redistributed to the creditors? How far can the payments go back? 30 days? 90 days? 6 months? A year?

If I am prepaid and someone files for chapter 11 a week later is the prepayment protected from a clawback?

Thanks.

If your business extends credit to a debtor and that debtor files bankruptcy during the following 90 days, then the debtor can get its money back, unless the amount of the payment is less than $5,850, or the debt is paid in the "ordinary course of busiess according to ordinary business terms."

In other words, if this is a typical transaction between the debtor any you, that you and the debtor would ordinarily do -- and the terms of the transaction are typical -- then you can resist the transfer and keep the payment.

Otherwise, you can be forced to return the payment.

Hope this helps.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)