socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

so my follow up question is ..... is bankruptcy my only option....and

so my follow up question is ..... is bankruptcy my only option....and if I own rental property , and will chapter 13 protect my rental properties (which both on sold on contract for deed) what is my best option in keeping my home...
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Bankruptcy is the only true means of dealing with debt problems. Everything else is a scam, in my opinion.

In order to obtain a Chapter 13, you must have no more than $1,081,400 in secured debt, and $360,475 in unsecured debt. Also, your unsecured debtors must receive at least as much in Chapter 13 as they would if you filed Chapter 7. If you can work out a plan to make payments towards your debts for the next 5 years, within the constraints of the above, then you can keep all of your properties and unload your unsecured debts.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.