Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

Is it true a person can file chapter 13 bankupcy and keep everything

Is it true a person can file chapter 13 bankupcy and keep everything they own? Or what are they required to give up? Will they have to give up their cars, homes, furniture, etc.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Yes, a person can file a chapter 13 bankruptcy and retain all assets including those that are over exemption

I will explain

As an individual, there are two types of bankruptcy available. A Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13. There are distinct differences in between a Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of your unsecured debt such as credit cards, judgments and personal loans. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start. However, you may have to surrender assets, if any, that exceed your exemption.

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy is a repayment plan for an individual. It may require that you repay some of your unsecured credit card debt over a 3 -5 year period. However, you may retain assets that exceed your exemption.

Here are the exemptions for Louisiana:
http://www.bankruptcyinformation.com/LA_exemp.htm

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER