Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

I was wondering if you file for bankruptcy do they make you

I was wondering if you file for bankruptcy do they make you keep the house if it's in foreclosure? We want to file for bankruptcy but we don't want to keep the house. We live in Michigan and neither myself nor my husband has any kind of income right now. We used to have the unemployment but the state cut them all. Please let me know. Thanks.
You can chose to surrender a home if it is in foreclosure. The lender will ask the court permission to continue, which is routinely granted. They will then continue until the foreclosure completes, which will transfer the title to the lender. The home will still be yours until that is complete. You will be responsible for costs until it forecloses for utilities and any home owner assessments. You also should maintain the property in good repair until that time as well. You will no longer need to make a mortgage payment though, since the debt is discharged in a bankruptcy case. Thanks for your question, good luck.