Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Before I married I owned that ownwed a house I still have.

Before I married I owned that ownwed a house I still have. The home is in my name only as are all my personal assets. My husband has gotten into debt ( at least $25,000) with credit cards that are in his name only. We have no joint credit cards, and only one joint checking account we pay house hold bills.
I am 100% disabled and want to know if any of my assets can be used to pay his debts. What if any are my responsibilities for his debts. He now wants me to give him money so he can hire a lawyer and I would be left without any money at all.
Thank you for your help ,
Maryann Perkins
Connecticut
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Connecticut is not a community property state, which means that you are not financially responsible for the debts of your spouse because of the marriage.

If you hold joint accounts, you are obviously liable. However, if you aren't on the account, you nor your personal/separate property is subject to his creditors.