Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I am a Trustee of a small 4 unit condominium building. One

I am a Trustee of a small 4 unit condominium building. One unit has just gone into bankruptcy and part of the fees have been discharged. However, the unit owner continues to not pay fees. What are the steps for collecting those fees?

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Can you tell me whether the bankruptcy has been closed or whether the bankruptcy is still open
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We received a Discharge of Debtor letter dated 6/2/2010 stating that it appears that the debtor is entitled to a discharge and they have been granted a discharge. It states it is not a dismissal of the case and it does not determine how much money, if any, the trustee will pay to creditors. So it seems that it probably is not close at this point.

Thank you for your information.

Since the debtor has been discharged, you may file a collection action against the debtor to collect the Association fees that were assessed after the filing of the petition. However you may not file a lien against the condominium until you determine whether the case has been closed or the bankruptcy trustee has "abandoned" the property. You can contact the trustee's office and inquire