socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

does having a tolling agreement signed re a legal malpractice

does having a tolling agreement signed re: a legal malpractice lawsuit "count" as a claim against a debtor when determining a fraudulent conveyance? ie. should that be considered fair warning that there is trouble and potential agreement

A general tolling agreement suspends time limitations on all causes of action. A fraudulent transfer action has a four year statute of limitations under the Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act. So, even if it weren't included as part of the tolling agreement, you would have more than sufficient time to sue, because the transfer to the trust during the time when a claim is likely, would only just now start the 4-year statute of limitation.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for trying to answer, i guess i didn't write clearly. I dont need a definition of tolling agrrement. My question is -- would either or both multiple tolling agreements executed regarding a potential legal malpractice suit and previous to that, a demand letter sent for $100,000 of fees QUALIFY as proof that there was a pending or threatened action against the debtor ( in this case my ex attorney)?

For fraudulent transfer, I read that you have to SHOW that there was a "known creditor". In another words, is a demand letter and/or multiple tolling agreements re: legal mal suit STRONG enough to show that i am a potential creditor or would i actually have had to file the lawsuit?

The tolling agreement, by itself, demonstrates that there is a creditor claim actually in existence. This is more than sufficient to satisfy the claim element for a fraudulent transfer -- as is a demand letter.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Perfect. I just wanted to say thanks! You've saved me from having to further research this. It does make logical sense. Ok, off for some sunshine, thank you again for your services,

You're welcome and happy Independence Day.