socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

ex-spouse is filing bankruptcy. how will this affect me. have

Customer Question

ex-spouse is filing bankruptcy. how will this affect me. have a mortagage and a second mortgage in both names. will those creditors come after me for their money.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Once your ex is discharged in bankruptcy he/she will have no further liability for the debts. Therefore, the creditors will only be able to sue you for any unpaid loan balance.

There is an exception for debts incurred in connection to a divorce. So, if the divorce court ordered you and your ex to pay off the mortgages, then that may permit you to avoid your ex's bankruptcy discharge. This is a particularly complicated issue, which would require a careful review of your divorce decree. So, if it becomes an issue, you may want to have a local bankruptcy lawyer examine the decree to determine whether or not your ex is really discharged from the mortgage debts.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.