Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I recently had to file a bankruptcy and have received a discharge.

I recently had to file a bankruptcy and have received a discharge. I'm not confident with the information my lawyer is giving me regarding the discharge of credit card debts. I am married, separted and there were a few credit card debts on the bankruptcy that were in both my name and my wives. We were told if these debts were relieved, it would be for both of us unless otherwise stated. Now my lawyer is telling us that this wasn't so, the only relief from the bankruptcy is to me since I was the only one that filed.
Is there anyway for me to get certain clarification as to what was and was not discharged? My papers from the courts do not state anything other then the discharge has been granted. Would my wife still be responsible for these debts?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Your wife's liability for the debt in both names is not affected by your bankruptcy. Only your liability to the creditors can be discharged by your bankruptcy. The bankruptcy court lacks the jurisdiction to discharge debts of a person that is not before the court