cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

Im filing for a chapter 7 bankruptcy in CA through The Document

I'm filing for a chapter 7 bankruptcy in CA through The Document People because I can't afford a lawyer. So I need legal advice. My car is paid for and has a Blue Book value of about $12,500-$14,00. I need to drive to get to my jobs here in LA. Will I lose my car?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.
How much - if any - of the homestead exemption will you be using?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Christina,

Thanks for getting back to me! Sorry, I was out for the evening and so didn't get your response until just now.
I had no idea what that is so I just googled "homestead exemption". I'm still not sure what it is. Is it the dollar amount of stuff they won't take away from you if the bankruptcy is approved?
I don't currently own a home but rent a small apartment, so it looks like I'm using System #2 for California law which allows for $20,725 as of Jan. 2010 according to So it sounds like a simple math question. If the rest of my property that I want to keep is about $5,000 (I don't remember the exact numbers, I turned in my paperwork to be processed a few weeks ago), then as long as my car is under $15,725, I get to keep it? Is that what it means?
Yes - if you are not using the Homestead Exemption for a home, you can use the entire amount ($22,075) plus the $1,175 wildcat exemption for any other property, including a car. You also have the $3,525 for the car. These are the current amounts. You can see them here:
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me! It seems these exemption numbers are always changing, so thanks for the URL as well!

You're welcome! (Please don't forget to hit the "ACCEPT" button.)
Thank you!