Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I filed for bankruptcy in 2005. Although my mortgage was part

I filed for bankruptcy in 2005. Although my mortgage was part of that bankruptcy, I continued to make regular, on-time mortgage payments. Now I want to move. The house needs a lot of work. If I cannot sell this house, can I walk away from it without penalty?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Typically your bankruptcy would have discharged your personal liability on your mortgage note. Thus provided you did not enter into a reaffirmation agreement during the bankruptcy proceeding, you would not be subject to personal liability or recourse for nonpayment at this time
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does that mean that my credit would not be affected by walking away, and no other legal papers or other legal matters need to be addressed? Do I just not pay?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Same as above. I want to start interviewing for jobs out of my area. I can put the house for sale "as is" but if it does not sell, can I just walk away without repercussions?
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
I can put the house for sale "as is" but if it does not sell, can I just walk away without repercussions?
Yes

Correct