socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

Thanks very much. Original debt was 20K. Original lender was

Customer Question

Thanks very much. Original debt was 20K. Original lender was a private individual. There was no dollar amount indicated on the docs I was just served with--I am terrified that, with interest accruing, this may have silently mushroomed into 100K or more. Can't BK now, retired and support kids w/my assets. Of course there is some possibility that the BK was terminated w/o discharge, and I never knew. I was relatively naive about finance/legal. Should I attempt to contact the collection attorney myself and explain the situation? Can they garnish immediately? If BK was terminated w/o discharge, under what conditions would I have recourse against old BK atty?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Should I attempt to contact the collection attorney myself and explain the situation? Can they garnish immediately?

A: The collection attorney wants your money. Nothing else matters. Anything you tell the attorney gives him/her information that may improve his or her position.

If BK was terminated w/o discharge, under what conditions would I have recourse against old BK atty?

A: You would have to show that notice of dismissal was sent to the attorney, but not to you, and until now you had no idea that the case was dismissed. In that case, you could still sue for malpractice, on grounds that the attorney never defended your interests. Otherwise, the statute of limitations would bar your claim after four years from the date of the bankruptcy dismissal.

You can contact the bankruptcy court clerk and ask whether or not your case was discharged or dismissed. Just give the court a call in the morning.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.