How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask FiveStarLaw Your Own Question

FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 3317
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
FiveStarLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is both a real estate issue and a bankruptcy issue. I

Customer Question

This is both a real estate issue and a bankruptcy issue.

I bought my San Diego house in Sept 2009. I currently owe $479,000, FHA loan, $3395 payment, primary residence. According to Zillow, the house is worth $495,000 right now. I took the $8000 first-time home buyers tax credit and got it in the bank. I have cash assets right now of $16,000 with another $38,000 in stocks (underwater from $62,000). I own two cars and a houseful of furniture. I am currently working making $80/hour (but living in the Bay area so I have huge expenses and the high $ rate is sopped up by extra rent and travel back home).

I understand that the FHA loan is a recourse loan even though it is purchase money and was done in California. My question is: if I walk away from the house and the Feds come after me for a deficiency judgment, can bankruptcy erase that judgment? Can I even file bankruptcy with the above asset profile? Many thanks.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
Why do you think your FHA loan is a recourse loan?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
24 CFR 203.369



"FHA/VA Loans.
Nowadays these federally insured or guaranteed loans incorporate enforceable provisions allowing the federal government (HUD) to sue to collect whatever deficiency that might result upon the foreclosure of these loans, regardless of the anti-deficiency statutes of some states such as California's, and regardless of the foreclosure procedure (judicial or non-judicial) that was employed by the originating lender."

Now, they may not decide to go after me, but what I have read in other places is that they may if I walk away from the house. Also, since I can't use California's "no recourse" law to stave off the lender from pursuing me, I may get both barrels. My question is what to do if this happens.
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information! That statute does not authorize deficiency judgments where they are prohibited by state law. However, if the lender does get a deficiency judgment, that judgment can be used to garnish wages, bank accounts, stocks, and place liens on non-exempt property, including cars with more than $2500 in equity (equity = Kelly Blue Book trade-in value minus balance on car loan).
If filing a bankruptcy, you would be able to keep $21,825 cash (including bank accounts) or stocks, and keep a car with up to $3300 equity.

Edited by Christina Fortunato, Esq. on 6/6/2010 at 2:44 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
"That statute does not authorize deficiency judgments where they are prohibited by state law."

Could you please clarify this? I thought that federal law superceded state law. Are you saying that I am immune from a recourse deficiency judgment due to California's law (all purchase money, etc), even though this is a federal statute? What about what I quoted from
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.
That statute states, "the Secretary may require the mortgagee diligently to pursue a deficiency judgment in connection with any foreclosure." (ital. added). It would be useless for the Secretary to require a mortgagee of a purchase-money mortgage in California to pursue a deficiency judgment, because it cannot be done.
The statement from that website says that HUD can pursue a deficiency judgment. Is HUD your lender?

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • FiveStarLaw


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
< Last | Next >
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • Phillips Esq.'s Avatar

    Phillips Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • dylatess's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    35 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions

Chat Now With A Bankruptcy Lawyer
Bankruptcy Lawyer
3317 Satisfied Customers
Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.