Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

My question is just how much and what kind of info is available

My question is just how much and what kind of info is available to "the public" regarding bankruptcy filings. If a personal bankruptcy is filed, what can another "person or party" find out by calling the local bankruptcy court?

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Unfortunately the entire bankruptcy petition including all filings are public information. By simply calling the court, the general public can obtain the date the debtor filed bankruptcy, the chapter bankruptcy filed, hearing dates and whether assets available for distribution to creditors.